What Airport Is Closest To Sequoia National Park Sequoia National Park, renowned for its colossal trees, is situated in California. This park spans the southern Sierra Nevada region, east of Visalia. There are two main entrances to Sequoia National Park: the Ash Mountain Entrance in the south via Highway 198 near Three Rivers and the Big Stump Entrance in the north accessible via Highway 180. Choosing your entrance will help you determine the most convenient airport for your trip.
If you’re in the process of planning your visit to Sequoia National Park, follow this step-by-step guide:
- Choose Your Timing: Decide when you want to visit the park.
- Determine Your Duration: Figure out how long your trip will be.
- Select Accommodation: Explore lodging options, including campgrounds, lodges within the park, and hotels or vacation rentals in nearby towns like Three Rivers.
- Transportation: Depending on whether you plan to drive or fly, arrange for a car rental or book a flight.
- Flight Booking: If you opt for flying, read on to find the nearest airports to Sequoia National Park to make an informed decision.
- Plan Your Itinerary: Consider other destinations on your trip, the time of year you’re traveling, your budget, airline preferences, and your point of departure when finalizing your travel plans.
Here’s a breakdown of the best airports near Sequoia National Park:
1. Visalia Municipal Airport (VIS):
- Closest airport by distance.
- Offers charter flights but no commercial flights.
- Located five miles from Visalia’s downtown area.
- Distances to the park entrances:
- Big Stump Entrance: 58 miles.
- Ash Mountain Entrance: 40 miles.
2. Fresno Yosemite International (FAT):
- Commercial airport with multiple domestic and some international flights.
- Approximately one hour to the Big Stump Entrance and an hour and a half to the Ash Mountain Entrance.
- Various rental car options available at the airport.
3. Los Angeles International Airport (LAX):
- Major airport with numerous domestic and international flights.
- About a four-hour drive to the Ash Mountain entrance.
- Additional half-hour drive to the Big Stump Entrance.
- Offsite car rentals and transportation options readily available.
4. San Jose International Airport (SJC):
- Commercial airport with both domestic and international flights.
- Around a four-hour drive to either the Big Stump or Ash Mountain Entrance.
- Onsite car rentals and various ground transportation services.
5. Oakland International Airport (OAK):
- Fourth-largest airport in California, with flights to North America, Hawaii, and Europe.
- Three and a half hours to the Big Stump Entrance.
- A little over four hours to the Ash Mountain Entrance.
- Numerous onsite and offsite car rental options.
6. Ontario International Airport (ONT):
- Offers flights to major U.S., Central American, Mexican, and Asian destinations.
- About a five-hour drive to the park entrances.
- Multiple rental car services onsite with shuttle service to rental facilities.
7. Santa Ana John Wayne Airport (SNA):
- Smaller commercial airport with flights to various U.S. cities and some international destinations.
- A five to five-and-a-half-hour drive to the park entrances.
- Onsite and offsite car rental options.
8. Sacramento International Airport (SMF):
- Major airport hub with nonstop flights to North American cities.
- Approximately four hours to both the Big Stump and Ash Mountain Entrances.
- Several onsite and offsite car rental services.
9. San Francisco International Airport (SFO):
- The largest airport in the Bay Area with extensive domestic and international flights.
- About a four-hour drive to the park entrances.
- Multiple onsite and offsite car rental providers.
10. San Diego International Airport (SAN): – Offers nonstop flights to various domestic and international destinations. – A six to six-and-a-half-hour drive to the park entrances. – Several onsite and offsite car rental options.
11. Harry Reid International Airport (LAS): – Major airport with numerous airline options. – A long but feasible six-hour drive to the Ash Mountain Entrance. – Numerous car rental choices both onsite and offsite.
Consider your travel preferences
Schedule, and other destinations on your itinerary when choosing the most suitable airport for your visit to Sequoia National Park.