How Far Is Pawleys Island From Myrtle Beach Pawleys Island may be small, but it’s brimming with delightful experiences for the whole family. Whether you’re into shopping, savoring delicious food, appreciating history, or enjoying the island’s natural beauty, we’ve got your perfect day trip planned out.
Shopping in Pawleys Island
Pawleys Island offers a diverse shopping scene and a variety of dining options. Check out our “Ultimate Guide to Pawleys Island Shopping Centers” for an in-depth look at retail therapy and culinary delights.
While Pawleys Island boasts numerous culinary treasures, we’ve singled out some family-friendly recommendations:
- Parlor Donuts: Treat everyone to oversized, delectable donuts in a spacious indoor setting or a charming outdoor patio.
- Applewood Pancake House: A reliable choice with ample seating and a welcoming attitude towards families. Enjoy a hearty meal without any judgment for the little mess-makers.
- Bisqit: Sample their mouthwatering burgers, particularly the one with brisket. A kid-friendly environment awaits, with a relaxed ambiance and a screened-in porch.
- Quigley’s Pint & Plate: Offering an affordable kids’ menu with diverse options, this establishment exudes a family-friendly vibe and attracts plenty of repeat patrons.
- Chester’s Pit Stop: Picture a place worthy of a “Diners, Drive-Ins, and Dives” hot dog feature episode—cool, flavorful, and unassuming.
For a romantic evening, consider Frank’s, Local, Yagi Sushi, or Chive Blossom.
History and Scenic Beauty
While Pawleys Island lacks traditional entertainment options like putt-putt or escape rooms, it makes up for it with natural beauty and historical sites. You’ll need to cross the causeway to explore these attractions. Think of it as a self-guided driving tour with informative stops:
- Pawleys Island New Town Hall & Police Department: As you cross the North Causeway, you’ll encounter this area. Take a break to wander around the open lawn (Pawleys Island Nature Park), admire the marsh view across the street, or explore the Old Town Hall building. Look out for charming birdhouse replicas of Pawleys Island landmarks and painted Pawley’s Rocks.
- Old Town Hall: The old town hall now serves as an exhibit space for the Waccamaw Neck Arts Alliance. Although it isn’t always open, stepping inside provides a glimpse into the town’s history. The building once served as a realtor’s office, town hall, and a single-cell jail. Don’t miss the Pawleys Island historical marker or the mural on the old town hall’s side.
- Pawleys Island Chapel: Drive a little further south to spot the chapel overlooking the marsh. While it’s still used for services in the warmer seasons and available for rent, it isn’t typically open to visitors. You can learn more about the chapel’s history via a nearby historical marker.
- Pelican Inn: This charming 8-room bed and breakfast is currently open only to overnight guests, with no tours or meals for day visitors. Nevertheless, take a moment to read about its history and explore the picturesque grounds.
- South End of the Island Parking (The Point): A large parking lot awaits you on the south end of the island, known as The Point. From here, you can easily access both the beach and the marsh side. If you can find parking, explore this area further or discover additional beach access points if you wish to spend time by the shore.
Note that most of the docks extending over the marsh are privately owned and gated, as is the Pawleys Island pier, accessible only to residents and guests of Pawleys Pier Village.
Parks and Kid-Friendly Activities
If you’re traveling with children, consider these family-friendly spots:
- Playground at Hammock Shops: The renowned Hammock Shops offer a shaded playground perfect for younger kids. It’s an excellent stop after exploring the island, allowing kids to stretch their legs and everyone to enjoy some refreshments.
- Stables Park: While we haven’t reviewed it yet, this park features a small playground for kids to enjoy.
With this comprehensive guide, you’re all set for an unforgettable family day trip to Pawleys Island!